How have I not blogged about my hexagons yet?!? If you follow me on instagram, you know that I am obsessed with hexagons right now. 🙂 In fact I just finished up my 3rd block!
Maybe I should back up a little.
Since I’m insane, I’ve decided to make a king size quilt entirely by hand out of tiny 7/8th inch hexagons. I imagine I’ll be finished sometime around my 80th birthday.
Why so tiny? Because I have fallen in love with charm packs. These are little bundles of fabric precut to 5 inches by 5 inches. You can make 4 hexagons out of a piece of fabric that size if you make the hexagons 7/8th of an inch. 🙂
Say hello little hexagon! First I baste the fabric around a piece of paper, then I stitch the hexagons together into little flowers.
Remember when I said that each piece of fabric was big enough to make 4 hexagons? I go ahead and baste all 4 hexagons at the same time, but I’m only stitching one in for now. I want to have a good mix of fabrics throughout the whole quilt so I put the other 3 aside for now. Once I’m 1/4 of the way through, I’ll stitch up the rest.
Here’s my current stash of “orphan hexies.” There are 670 of them. ::imagine a shocked emoji here:: Once I have 9 flowers, I stitch them together into what I’m calling a block. So far I’ve made 3 of them. I don’t plan on stitching the blocks together until I’ve finished all of the blocks because I keep buying more fabric and I want to make sure that there’s a good mix.
Each of these blocks has 9 flowers along with some extra hexies to join them together. All in all, each block has 75 hexies.
I thought I was doing pretty good until I laid them out on my bed and saw how much farther I had to go! lol. I’m guessing I will need somewhere between 7×7 and 9×9 blocks. Which means somewhere between 49 and 81 blocks. On the low end of that number, it will take me roughly 4 years to complete the quilt top if I can manage to keep going at my current pace.
You guys! My tiny babies are 3!!!
I know, Mia. It snuck up on me too.
Weren’t you guys just born yesterday???
My sweet Emilia Marie. 5 pounds 3 ounces at birth, this tiny peanut got down to 4 pounds 8 ounces before she started gaining weight. She may still be tiny, (she was 24 pounds and 31.5 inches today at the dr) but she’s not letting that hold her back! She’s quite the little climber; I’ve found her on top of the kitchen island multiple times. lol. She’s walking all over the living room now, and if you hold her hand she’ll walk for quite some time! She’s also got probably 75 signs? And since she got her latest set of ear tubes she’s been making so many more sounds. She’s probably got around 20 verbal words. It is so exciting to see her expressing herself. 🙂
And here’s my sweet boy, Alexander James. He also started out at 5 pounds 3 ounces, but he only dropped down to 4 pounds 13 ounces before he started eating us out of house and home. 🙂 Today he was a positively robust 27 pounds and 36 inches. We always think he’s so tall until we see him around any non-Mia sized toddler. lol. He is soooooooo busy! He literally never stops running and talking. RaptorDad refers to him as The Narrator. He’s a little bit crazy and I’m always running behind him terrified he’s going to break his arm, but thus far his bones seem to be made of rubber. lol.
Mia Bear starts preschool tomorrow and she’ll be gone 4 hours a day 5 days a week. She is so ready. Xander and I are not ready. lol. We are going to miss her so much! I know this is best for her, but it still hurts my heart. I’m ready for summer when I get all 3 of my kids home with me all day!
You guys, my tiny baby is starting preschool in April and I’m not handling it all that well. :/ So I will be aiming to distract myself in April! But let’s check out March first, shall we?
- Surgery Recovery. Mia did amazingly well! And I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff at Dell Children’s Hospital. Seriously love them. Also hope that we never have to be admitted again. lol.
- Files for interview books. Done! In fact, you can check out the actual blog post I wrote about it here. 🙂
- Print interview books. Done!
- Assemble interview books. Also done! Damn, I was on a roll this month. 😉
- Patch Blanket. Done! Or at least, caught up for the moment. It’s a bit of an ongoing project.
- Macaroons. Well, we made an attempt. They were awful, but we did check them off. I’m going to find a new recipe and try again at a later date.
- St. Patrick’s Day fun. Well, we did a teeny bit, but I want to do better next year.
- Order name labels. Done. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.
- Scrap. Not a lot here actually as our weekends have been crazy. Hoping that I can get some time in the art room soon.
- 3×3 hexie flower. Done! Love making progress on this project. 🙂
- The easter bunny brought me the cutest little notebook and I’m going to use it for some bullet journal type lists. I think I’m going to try to create a list a day for April. Today I’m making my ultimate travel bucket list and my goal is to have 100 items on it by the end of the day.
- 3×3 hexie flower. I’d love to make one of these a month. 🙂
- Hogwarts Summer School. When I asked Kate about having a theme for the summer a la Camp Halfblood last year, she was so stinking excited! She immediately suggested a Harry Potter theme and I eagerly accepted. This is going to be so much easier than last summer! There’s a ton of stuff on pinterest.
- Sunshine! I do so much better when I get more sunshine in my life. I’m going to make it a goal to spend at least 30 minutes outside each day that it’s not raining.
- Plants! My mom helped me start some garden beds int he back yard and I’d really love the keep them alive. Apparently this means that I need to water then every day.
- Schedule for Xander. Mia is going to be going to school 4 hours a day 5 days a week starting April 11th. Cue massive mental breakdown. lol. I want to make some kind of schedule for Xander and I so we don’t both just sit at home and mope about how much we miss Mia. lol.
- Project Life. I’d like to get November and December 2017 done.
- Scrapbooking. I’d like to get February and March done.
- Fix Dresses. I have a ton of really cute dresses that are missing buttons. I need to just sit down one day and fix them.
- Twin Party. Oh my gosh my babies are almost 3!!! We’re just having some family over, but I still need to plan something. 🙂